Anyone who has ever sat down and smoked a spliff/cone/pipe at their friend’s house can testify to the hazy joys of cosying up on the couch or beanbag and watching a classic stoner flick. Make a quick run to McDonalds, get back, light up, chuck on a film – it’s simple yet oh so enjoyable. At The Bong Shop, we love the ritualistic smoke and film night, and in tribute to this most pleasurable of occasions we have put together a brief but effective list of our favourite films to watch ripped.
Some cliché, some more heavy, enjoy.
- Up: We thought we’d start with a light-hearted, uplifting tale of an old man, a lonely boy scout and his dog as they are literally taken high into the clouds searching for a place called Paradise Falls. Little did they know that Paradise Falls is really the granny flat of your mate’s mum’s house with the bong stashed away in the toilet.
- Step Brothers: Everyone knows Step Brothers is an absolute classic whether under the influence or not. This film is a barrel of laughs with awesome calls and some truly memorable characters. Naturally, these laughs are exacerbated after a cheeky joint. Will Ferrell’s completely outlandish behaviour is enough to pull anyone out of a stoned stupor into fits of hilarity.
- Donnie Darko: A heavy film, with heavy themes. This writer must admit that he completely forgot what it was about and couldn’t re-grasp it when first watching it stoned, but it’s a favourite of staff here at The Bong Shop. Wormholes, randomly appearing Bunny Men, terrifying grandmas, a plot that needs academic deciphering – Donnie Darko has it all.
- Trainspotting: This just falls into this category because it’s a ripper film to watch always, so why wouldn’t it be a ripper film to watch ripped? The tale of four “friends” afflicted by substance abuse navigating their way around Edinburgh is a cinematic masterpiece for the senses. “What’re you tawkin aboot?”
“Fitba, what’re you tawkin aboot?”
“Shawpin” – classic.
- Superbad: I’ve never laughed so hard in the cinemas as I did the first time seeing Superbad, and I wasn’t even stoned. Since then it has been of my go-to films to watch after a cone. The combination of Seth, Evan and McLovin trying to get to a party with alcohol bought illegally is just too much fun stoned.
You may agree, you may disagree, but I know I’ve sorted out some plans for tonight. I’m thinking Superbad, just writing about it has given me a laugh. Happy viewing, beloved friends of The Bong Shop.